SLIDER

Vinyl of the Day: Funkadelic - Maggot Brain


     I was fortunate enough to snag this album this past weekend while shopping in Amoeba. It's not something I had actively been searching out for, but it was something I'm happy to come across. When I popped into the soul selection of the store, the goal was if something screamed out at me I would  buy it. Little did I know it would be Barbara Cheeseborough, on the cover of Maggot Brain screaming at me while digging for records.


      Can we talk about an album cover that matches the record so well? This album is timeless. Every time I put it on I can help but shake my head in disbelief at how well it aged, and how I find something else to love about it. It kicks ass. I mean George Clinton is a genius, (and everyone involved is as well of course) the production is superb. I cannot fathom that when this album came out, there were people who were critical of the record. Usually, I would suggest a couple of tracks to listen to but this is something I find is best played from start to finish. No skipping, no interruptions, just an album played how it was meant to be.



     I would describe this album best as funk-rock. It's so much more and very difficult to pin into any one genre. Weaving in and out of each song you'll hear multiple guitars, a keyboard, a cow, a fox and a variety of percussion instruments. I'm not even kidding, 'Wars of Armageddon' holds a mixture of those sounds and some. My favorites from this album, if I had to choose, would be 'Can You Get to That' and 'Super Stupid'. This album like I said this is timeless.  I would love for a another pressing of this to be re-released with something that reflected how crazy this album is. Maybe like a spatter or marble design would be perfect, something similar to the multicolored label it comes with. If this were released today, it would be applauded as innovative and fresh. Its sound is distinct, and I'm happy to have it added to my collection finally.




No comments

Post a Comment

© The Vinyl Freak • Theme by Maira G.