SLIDER

Album of the Day: Charli XCX - Pop 2


GOOOOD MOOORNING & HAAAPPY NEW YEAARRR!

My goal this year is to listen to one album a day. Last year sucked and I missed out on so much music, because I was just busy or lazy. This year I refuse to let that happen again. I'm back on that New Year, New Me bullshit that everyone else succumbs to. Yeah I know... It's the first of the year and optimism is high. I'm going to ride this wave as long as I can and see how far I get listening to an album a day. Waking up January 1st I was dehydrated and starving, and wanted something that would possibly put me in a better mood. I looked on to Charli XCX's Mixtape Pop 2. I've heard nothing but positive things about this project. I figured why not start my year with something that would uplift me.



Starting off with the opening track Backseat, and I'm like damn this is fantastic. This track alone is a foreshadowing for the structure of the entire album:
  • Bomb ass collabs
  • Bomb ass beats
  • Avoiding the real world, dealing with crippling sadness, and being alone.


We see all of this repeated throughout the entire album. At this point I'm in my kitchen New Years Day, eating leftovers wondering if this really the album I am to start this year with. I was looking for something to uplift me but definitely picked the wrong one to do so. Turns out I picked the right one. When you take a moment to look at the lyrics, there's some real shit she's singing about. On the last song "Track 10" she takes an honest look at being with someone just to feed her own ego:
Sorry, I'm a little scared
But no one ever really cared
I took you for granted
Just a big misunderstandin'
I just wanna spend the night
Fuckin' in your bed tonight
Watch a little TV
I love it when you need me. 

Essentially that's dating in a nutshell in this generation. To be honest I had to face the realization that I picked the perfect album to start the year off right. One that's fire and off the bat better than what you're expecting it to be. Hopefully this is the path my 2018 goes down. No being with someone to feed my own ego of course. But a year of being honest with myself, and having a good time doing so.



Some stand out bangers that you can dance alone to when no one else is watching are:
  • "Out Of My Head"
  • "I Got It" (w/ Brooke Candy, Cupcakke and Pabllo Vittar)
  • "Delicious" (w/ Tommy Cash)
  • "Porsche" (MØ)


Props to her for the collabs, they're all perfection. I personally, would love to have her added to any and every song that's dropped in 2018. Also can someone do a remix of 'Delicious' and Arctic Monkey's 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High'? Bc that's a club mix classic waiting to happen. From start to finish this mixtape is a work of art. It's what I wish pop would be in the future if all artist took risk and where true to themselves. She's a great example of an artist that has crossed over to the mainstream yet maintains musical integrity. I guess that's why she released this as a mixtape. With the release of an album, I'm guessing an artist would have restraints and just a whole bunch of nonsense they would have to deal with. With a mixtape it seems like there is more freedom, and she took plenty of creative risks that worked out for her. With a cluster of artist she carves out her own path in pop. If I had listening to this when it originally dropped I would have raved that it was the perfect tape to end 2017. Instead I'm am late to the party praising it in the new year.
Better late than never right?


I'm very happy I started off my year with this gem. It makes me insanely optimistic for everything else I'll be listening to this year. Thanks for reading and I'm excited to be with you all on this ride this year.


No comments

Post a Comment

© The Vinyl Freak • Theme by Maira G.