SLIDER

Amoeba Muisc






Ladies and Gentlemen, I was fortunate enough to take a trip to Amoeba Music this past week. Let me say that it lived up to the hype. Before this mini-vacation, I had asked some ‘Vinyl Me, Please' members, which record store I should visit while in LA. The verdict was unanimous:


Now usually when I walk into record stores I pretty much have the same experience. (I will state this is not all the time, but it does happen more often than I would like.) When I've shopped in some stores, the vibe is usually super pretentious, and I'm so uncomfortable I just leave. I've spent 24 years as a black woman; I know when I'm not wanted somewhere. I will say that Amoeba was none of those listed.

Walking into its Sunset Boulevard location, I initially was impressed by size waking in. The size is comparable to like a BJ's or Walmart. The fact that I was handed a map steps after walking in showed me that this was not your typical neighborhood record shop. I came with a group of friends who had no interest in shopping for Vinyl. The good thing is that the store holds more than just records. DVDs, CDs, Cassette Tapes, Posters, Candy, Dogs, iPhones, Coffee Beans, Ect. I may have fabricated the last few items... but in a store that big I wouldn't put it past them. The crowd inside was just as eclectic as the items the store held. I loved the fact that everyone inside was looking for something different. But you could see that they would find what they were looking for inside the same store. Twenty minutes in, I spotted my friends gushing over their DVD collection, leaving with a bundle of disc.



About two hours later, my friends had to pry records out of my hands. I had now spent well over $200 and still didn't want to leave. I felt as though I had only experienced one-fifth of everything that store had to offer. It looks like a place that takes days on end just to eventually see every crack and crevice. Anytime I'm back visiting Amoeba I will be sure to:
  •  1) Bring more cash because their collection of records is so extensive, you'll want to leave with EVERYTHING
  • 2) Spend an entire day just browsing. I feel like I did not get that much time to take in as much as I could have.
My goal this year is to check out more record stores. Anytime I travel to a new city or place I'll be popping into crate dig and feel the vibes. I know you guys are also wondering what I spent 200 dollars on in Amoeba. Being a record collector, you guys know that could range anywhere from 4 to 10 albums. Later this week I'll be uploading a haul of all of the records I got while in LA! Can't wait to show you guys.





No comments

Post a Comment

© The Vinyl Freak • Theme by Maira G.